A few days after the fire in March 1871, when it was cool enough to examine the ruins, Lord Frederick saw an Italian marble pedestal which appeared quite undamaged, but when he attempted to lift it, it disintegrated. The fragments of marble were collected and later set into the chimneypiece in this hall. To the left of the fireplace, worked into the panelling, is the name Louisa and the date 1875, recalling the 7th Duke's only daughter, later Lady Louisa Egerton, and the date of the completion of the New Wing.
The English chandeliers, c. l745-50, were brought from the renowned Devonshire House in Piccadilly when it was dismantled in the 1920s. Between the windows are a pair of George II looking-glasses and a French eighteenth-century bracket clock by Simon of Paris. The six three-quarter-length royal portraits were brought from Bolton Abbey by the 7th Duke. They are in Sunderland frames, so named after the Earl of Sunderland.
The furniture includes a seventeenth-century Japanese lacquered chest (at the base of the stairs), a log box, which is a converted rum barrel, a large Chinese fish bowl and two eighteenth-century Italian decorated quartz and marble topped side tables.